BeernutsWorld

BeernutsWorld

Friday, January 25, 2008

Man On Mars

Just like every morning I go to Yahoo and check my fantasy teams, which is sad that fantasy football is over and I am now living the fantasy sports dream through hockey and basketball and now pretty soon golf and nascar. When I went to Yahoo this morning I saw one of the main stories that caught my eye, no not "10 jobs you didn't know you wanted" but "Human-Like Figure Spotted on Mars." Wow intriguing you got me Yahoo let's check it out. It then brings you to a video of a Man or statue or bigfoot type figure on Mars. I'm not buying it. I mean i do believe there is other life in the universe so maybe there is life on Mars but something looks fishy to me. Go check out the video and let me know what you think.
www.yahoo.com then click the "Human-Like Figure Spotted on Mars." Then click see it up close.
According to astronomers it is just a rock. It's hard enough to accurately recognize figures and faces across the room. Mars, depending on when you measure it, is about 35 million miles away. The best telescopes aren't of much help in determining surface features, and that's why NASA sent robots with cameras to Mars. The reason many people see a figure on the Martian landscape is the same reason that people see faces in clouds, Rorschach blots, and coffee stains. This phenomenon, called pareidolia, is well known in psychology, and it is the cause of many supposedly mysterious and miraculous events (including the famous "Jesus in the Tortilla"). Examples are all around us; in fact if you have a New Hampshire state quarter, you have pareidolia in your pocket or purse (take a look).

No comments: