BeernutsWorld

BeernutsWorld

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mayweather: Lin in Spotlight for Race Not Play?

By Matt McLear February 14th 2012



I have to admit as much as I love boxing movies and shows I do not follow boxing anymore. It's not the same sport as it used to be. If I was a betting man though I would bet Mayweather has a fight coming up. If not then it boggles my mind why he is even talking NBA and trying to gain attention on talking race.

If you don't know what I am talking about let me get you up to speed. Boxer Floyd Mayweather thinks that New York Knicks most talked about player these days Jeremy Lin is getting national attention because of his race, not his out of nowhere hot streak that has the Knicks on a 5 game win streak.

"Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise," Mayweather wrote on his Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

"Its OK for ESPN to give their opinion but I say something and everyone questions Floyd Mayweather," the boxer tweeted. "I'm speaking my mind on behalf of other NBA players. They are programmed to be politically correct and will be penalized if they speak up.

"Other countries get to support/cheer their athletes and everything is fine. As soon as I support Black American athletes, I get criticized."

Yes Jeremy Lin is the first NBA player of Chinese or Taiwanese decent to play, but the fact of the matter is he is American. He was born in California. He speaks better English than myself or anyone I know. Granted he was a Harvard graduate so should be pretty well spoke. Lin is getting national attention because he has the New York Knicks on a 5 game winning streak without their two big name players Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire. Any player who has been putting up Lin's numbers would be on the national spotlight regardless of race.

Mayweather if this is your sick way of gaining attention and trying to get Manny Pacquiao to actually fight you, I think it's wrong. Stick to something that you know what you are talking about, and stop playing the race game. You have made National headlines before with your racist comments but leave a 23 year old up and coming star alone. Let him shine in his time in the spotlight because he may never get another chance to again, unlike you.

No comments: